Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Badshah Bhai




There were two incidents which make me talk about music.The happiest is that my friend Neethu sang for an album named 'Interval' which is expected to release soon.And the other is ,I talked to a college mate who gave up his engineering career and learning music production now.Their passion for music made me travel pretty back down in my memory lane .
My school had a group of students who sing for all the programs . Me and my friends used to frequent their practice sessions.We gave them chance to bask in the glory of their talent with our admiring eyes.The teacher who used to train them in school knew how badly I wanted to sing.Once he gave a chance for me to sing with his group in a training session and every one who was present there could identify my voice running far beyond the others.The teacher asked me to return to the audience side after a few minutes .He did not bothered to gave me ,not even to my friends, another chance...that much was the impact.A friend consoled me," You can't sing without proper training in classical music .Once we get trained for at least six months we can sing better than these people".We knew all those students were trained in karnatic music from their childhood.
That night I told my parents I wish to learn music.My father asked me " Do you feel you sing good?"."Acha , how can I come to a conclusion without getting proper training .First lemme get trained ". There weren't any music teachers around , so I demanded them to take me to a music school which is pretty far away from home.Being a primary school student I was not used to travel alone , so my parents could easily discard that institute.I came to know about a full time music school which have hostel facility.I was ready to give up my regular school classes and I dreamed of a future devoid of mathematics teachers but blissful music .My mom raised her head from the book she was reading " Bhavya, do you know , In my childhood I wanted to learn drawing .But circumstances didn't allowed me to and I don't regret for it now.Very less people make a living out of art". "I 'll be one of that very less people".
The news of a music school opening near to our place didn't escape my notice.Classes are handled by a famous artist retired from All India Radio.I found myself enrolled in the class on the next Mahanavami.My class mates were in the age range of 5 - 40 .Needless to say , except the few of 5 and 6 year old , most of them already had basic training earlier.And 4 of them were doing degree courses in music and came to the class just to get the Guru's blessings.But the teacher insisted of starting from scratch.Forgot to mention, that was a part time class .(I couldn't drive Mathematics teachers away from my life).
Every day the class had wonders in store for me.I understood how 'swaras' are laid in the back bone of a song and how 'tal' framed the songs.The teacher was an expert ,not even in singing but teaching too.I remember how he moved his hands in air to show the ascending and descending swaras.Still I wonder how perfect he puts each swara in the exact position , how his voice dissolves in the shruthi of 'Thamburu'.
As strongly as I admired the music lessons , I hated that much to sing.The only reason behind that was my voice not being obedient to me.My voice never cared for 'shruthi'.Except mine and two other boys ( they were brothers) ,every body else's voice converged as one and flowed in the tune.I tried to hide my voice in others.But the Guru declared " he can count the number of voices that comes out.Don't try to hide your voice ".Even if he didn't look at me ,I knew I was the target.When it came to individual practice even lip synchronization couldn't save me.There were theory classes on the second Sunday of every month.He used to explain how different Raga's came into existence and talked about the history of music.It was in such classes he used to talk about the similarity between different genres of music. I liked such classes only.
Then came the next Mahanavami and every one was supposed to sing for the pooja. I set my mind up and Guru grouped me with two other best singers .(He was sure I'll do lip synchronization only). To make things even worse , he invited the student's parents and some how one of my neighbour came to know about it.That uncle himself assumed the duty of publicising it.In the evening of that program I could find all my well wishers lined up the first raw .I don't know what happened , nobody criticised after the program.
After some days the two brothers I mentioned earlier, those who too were as pathetic as I was, left the class.Then the teacher said ," There are people who are not gifted in music , they might have some other talents.Even if such people try hard to learn music , they won't succeed .They may come inside the rules of music.But music is not some thing about rules .So if you are not gifted its better to leave and go in search of your piece of cake.I was talking about those two boys...".That words of wisdom opened my eyes.I thought of giving up music and I did after a few weeks.
From that day I haven't ever tried humming a tone even in bathroom.I realized my role is to enjoy music as a listener.I don't regret that I can't sing.I don't regret that I joined that music class.That incident gave me valuable insights.
Later in college hostel a senior girl asked me to sing a song as part of the so called 'ragging' ( I guess , it was me who got ragged least in our batch .This girl was the weakest of the seniors who never got a prey).I warned her as humbly as I could " I sing really bad, nobody ever allows me to sing" ,"Ohh...is it so? then I'm giving you a chance" .I started with "har ghadi badal rahi...." she couldn't control her laughter and told me "I didn't expect when you said...".
My cousin used to say , he can run a remix company with the help of me.If I sing , nobody can find out it was a popular song.A friend used to say , I sing like the priest in their church.In short I never open my mouth in singing.
I met Badshah Bhai very recently.I have a feeling of coherence when I listen to his songs.Eey...I'm talking about the new character in 9Xm family , Badshah Bhai.I got a boost up and I may sing one day...he he...just kidding.





18 comments:

DEEPU said...

...And there you go ...in 'RHYTHM'..
Should think seriously on what your cousin suggested...:)

"BEST WISHES FOR NEETHU AND YOUR COLLEGEMATE"

BaKfIrE said...

yup...its a gifted world and everybody has some or the other...and so did u find yours ?

Randeep said...

But you write well Bhavya. mmm.. But dont give up. At least you can try in bathroom ;)

Cheers
Randeep

Prashanth said...

Every one has talents... we just need to dig them out..

My regards for Neethu and your College mate"

Navee said...

hi...

good one..and convey my wishes to neetu. and if possible get me a copy of the "Interval".

Unknown said...

The blog is really kewl!!! more than anythin it is de naive style of the blog which attracts,

Well done, Bhavyaa... keep blogging!!

Renjith
(Neethu's Friend)

Bhavya.B said...

@ Deepu

One day I'll seriously think of that...Just like the one who dubs for Badshah Bhai.

@ Bakfire
Yeah , I did find mine. :)

@Randeep

I really don't want others knocking the bathroom door and threatening me.

@Prashanth

Yeah , that's it.

@ Navee

Thank you.Wishes conveyed.I too am expecting a complimentary copy from her.Lets wait till it get released.

@ Renjith

Thank you for all those nice words.Keep visiting.

sujata sengupta said...

Your gift of words is no less a gift than the gift of singers. Congrats to your friends on their achievement!

Vishnu said...

Bhavya... which was the kriti you performed..? :)

Bhavya.B said...

@ Sujatha

Thats a flattery....thank you so much...

@ Vishnu
Those were Geethams( I'm not sure if it is named so)
Aanalekara (shudha saveri)
varaveena (mohanam)
and a third one which i dont remember.Even the names seems really strange now.

Nazeeha said...

hehe,... hey bhav nice post !! ... atleast u tried knw!! :) ...sing in d bathroom..nobody will com criticizing u.. :)..

Sonu said...

...u r back on track...keep writing like this.you've a unique style..i haven't given up my remix music company idea....if u r interested we can start it ;)

Unknown said...

nice..it was a new information that once u were a dedicated music student. oh.god! i didnt get a chance to hear ur singing...

Bhavya.B said...

@ Nazeeha

Yeah, for that I have to build a bathroom with sound proof walls. ;)

@ Sonu

Thank you bhai.Thank you for the offer.

@ Poornima

he he...I can't promise you a song anymore.You can ask those who suffered from cardiac arrest after my performance.

अनिल कान्त said...

संगीत वाकई भगवान का दिया हुआ वरदान ही है...आपकी पुराणी यादें पढ़कर अच्छा लगा...मुझे भी गाने का शौक है और मैं ठीक ठाक गा लेता हूँ...मतलब आवाज़ अच्छी है लेकिन सुर ताल जब तब बिगड़ जाते हैं....और मैं जनता हूँ कि ये सिर्फ शौक तक ही सीमित है :) :)

मेरी कलम - मेरी अभिव्यक्ति

Bhavya.B said...

@ Anil Kanth
"sur thal jab thab bigad jathe hai"...but Anilji in my case Sur aur thal kabhi nahi aathe hai.:)

Unknown said...

bavya
Do u remember ,,,usually i ask u to sing a song ,when we were in ELLA..

Bhavya.B said...

@ Suganya
:) You tolerating level is really high