Thursday, July 17, 2008

Raghu Vamsham Manipravalam


I think we should use a Lil of our brain before making promises.I do think so.But i use my heart and make promises in excitement and later struggle to keep it up(No problem until there are a list of excuses ).

It was on one of my visits to my aunt took place this 'promise'.There is a distant uncle of my mom living next door to this aunt.We (me n my cousins) always stop at him whenever we pass by.

One month ago ,when i stepped in to his veranda he seemed happy unusually.I was wondering when he asked if i know anything about his family history instead of the expected 'how r u' and 'wen d u came'.Then all those story telling sessions came into my mind through which he made me believe that there was a snake and a table inside the house which appears as it dawns and disappears at dusk.I peeped into the rooms if it is still there whenever i got a chance.He asked me to wait there and disappeared upstairs.He brought something in his hands and put down on a table.Some old manuscripts,a cane basket ,a white container with some temple's logo on it.

Whats goin on?I was confused."i have a lot to talk to you.You are not in a hurry,right?",he whispered in a very low tone.I was not in a hurry,even if i was i could have given up to listen to him.What if he is going to tell an exciting story that unrolls through thrilling twists and turns! He must be expecting me to write it down one day.The first chapter of 'One night at a call centre came into mind'.If i happen to create such a thing that i bag Booker Prize......................I was on the podium to receive the prize when the cracking sound of the cane basket interrupted.

"This was my uncles basket", he started slowly,"he was one of the great mahouts of that time.His master was happy to let him take the elephant home".That was a new information. A boy from his family told me that they owned a number of elephants long ago.There were two elephants instead of watch dogs ,the boy boasted of.I imagined it mouth open!!!Two elephants standing on both sides of the door way!!!Back at home i persuaded my father to recollect if any of our predecessors had an elephant.He shook his head firmly, disappointing me.


"Uncle used to take the elephant all over the world('world' has to shrug to a few kilometers to fit into this statement) for months. He carried his belongings in this basket and returned with full of money in this", he continued."The animal never disobeyed him" (And there were stories to prove this.) "but you know, he had a sad demise with so many diseases killing him inch by inch.His wife cheated him .She stole all his wealth and gave it to her stupid brother.Uncle had a plan to give it to us.If it was so where could we be now!".He showed me the invitations the uncle got from different temples to bring the elephant.He had a collection of elephants molars, hair from its tail......
Then he opened the container and showed me a huge collection of old coins from the time of Maharaja.I couldn't identify any(One of my friend used to show case her coin collection whenever i visit her home.I had tried to register that i'm not interested but she continued.I took revenge by displaying my collection of cricket posters for which i knew she had no interest).

He started packing the things once again .It was then only i noticed an old book.I was curious n asked what it is.He asked me to promise that i will read it line by line without leaving a single word unread.I smiled in welcome and he handed it over to me.It was the last book on earth i wanted to read but i have already made the promise.It was an old copy of 'Raghu vamsham manipravalam'.I never put my head in to such scholarly scripts but read some summary of it or pure translations.Next he presented me with a hand full of his coins.He is so kind to me!! I felt my eyes being wet.I started loving this old man with full heart.I thought some how I'll keep my promise.I didn't knew i was this special to him.


Then came the dialogue "I gave a quarter of this to Sonu and Manju earlier.Now its for you.I'll give the rest to Vishnu and Chinju the next time they come here".I was stuck......so this have happened twice already.It was only a part of the promotion of his 'family history'.My Booker prize........


I didn't bothered about keeping my word up.But whenever i met him he queried where am i reading in Raghuvamsham.I slipped away with some lame excuses every time.My father adviced me to by heart one or two stanzas and recite it when he asks.He will be satisfied,my dad assured me(mmmm...might be his trick).

I know what are you thinking now...LIKE FATHER ,LIKE DAUGHTER.

No comments: